Monday, January 18, 2010

With a Heavy Heart

Here is to you, Travis:


One year ago, Sunday 1.17.09, our dear friend Travis was in an avalanche and left this world to be part of another. He was such a good man and his departure left my husband and I truly shaken for sometime. Kelly and Kaden, his widowed wife and boy, are doing really well given the circumstances. Scott and I are a part of their lives and sure do enjoy the time we spend with them. Larry and Joan, his parents, suffered a huge loss and we feel for them. Travis was a central part of their lives. Loosing a friend is rough, I can't imagine loosing a husband, dad, or son. So my heart will always be a little bit heavier when I think of how amazing it was when he lived and how crappy it is sometimes with him gone.

Here are some things of note as a result:

1. There is no time today to worry about what happens when you die... when you go, you go.
2. I take a ton of pics as a result of Trav's passing.
3. Travis would give me hats quite often....I wear the ones he gave me and continue to build my collection.
4. Most of our outdoor gear is from Travis and we think of him each time we use it.
5. Kaden Lee is more important and dear to us.
6. Turn on your freaking avalanche beacon and check each time you go, yours and your partners'.
7. Know the snow conditions and study them throughout the year and assess your risk accordingly. (Travis and his partners were very experienced in snowmobiling and avalanche rescue.)
8. Just because there are tracks on a slope (ski or sled) doesn't mean it's stable.
9. Cherish your family and friends, you never know.

Here are details about Travis and the avalanche at Crown Butte (Cooke City, MT)

Travis and Bella
(snuggling under a blanket)

A photo of Travis on the family wall
(Scott's last ride with Travis
up Stone Creek, special)

Kaden Lee
(we eat whipped cream with one finger)

Kelly, Kaden and Molson

Kaden Lee
(he is adorable)

Larry, Kaden and Kelly
(that's Frisky Kaden is riding,
Frisky is easily 60 years old)

So now you know a bit more about Travis,
and why Kaden and Kelly are particularly
important to us.

Love up on each other,
Bisquit

No comments: